Which type of boiler is right for you?
The type of boiler that is most suitable for your home depends on a number of factors, such as:
- how many people will be using the hot water
- how many rooms are in the house
- how many radiators or on the central heating system
Here we will break down the key differences between the main types of boilers - combi boilers and conventional boilers.
If you have any further questions, please get in touch with our team and we will be happy to advise you.
Combination boilers have been growing in popularity due to their space saving design. The system supplies heating and hot water in one therefore there is no need for a water tank or hot water cylinder. Water is heated instantly on demand, so they are a good choice if you enjoy a long shower with good pressure and flow rate.
Other reasons they have became so popular in recent years include:
- They can be installed in a standard kitchen cupboard
- You no longer need to heat water that you don't need to use
However, one thing to bear in mind is due to there being no backup hot water cylinder with immersion heater, if the boiler breaks down you will be without hot water.
Also, if your home is large with several bathrooms a combi boiler may not be able to meet your hot water requirements.
Conevntional boilers are also known as reular or heat only boilers. They are built to work with conventional hot water system that ghave a spearate hot water storage cyliner, cold water storage tank and a feed and exapansion tank, which are normally kept in the loft.
The advantages of a conventional boiler system include:
- Several taps can be used at the same time
- Ideal for larger properties
- They are suiatble for an old heating system
- Immersion heater back up
The disadvantages are:
- The amount of water you can use is limited by the size of your cylinder
- Heat can be lost if the cylinder is not well insulated
- Takes up more space
- More prone to corrosion
If you are still unsure of which type of boiler system is right for you, we are here to advise.